Thursday, November 14, 2013

Our speakers from Chinquapin Preparatory School

Emely Sagastizado - "Right of Language" 


Hello, I’m Emely Sagastizado. As a junior at Chinquapin Preparatory School, I was given the challenge to create a project that would benefit someone other than myself. Now, when I first started
brainstorming, I attempted to benefit a large community, but we all know how hard that can be. After days of thinking, I realized, it’s not about the number of people you help or who you help, but it’s the time you take to help that matters.

My parents moved to Houston, Texas from El Salvador at a young age. Here, they raised my two younger siblings and me. Including my aunts, uncles and cousins, my small family of five increases to about one hundred family members. We are a loving, adventurous bunch. I have been blessed to have the family that I do. With the support and motivation from my parents, I was given the privilege to attend Chinquapin Preparatory School, where I met an amazing group of people, and the reason why I am presenting to you all here today.


Thomas Su - "Life in a Day @ Chinquapin"

My name is Thomas Su. I am currently a junior at the Chinquapin College Preparatory School. My parents are from Vietnam; however, I am a Texan born-and-bred. Since my parents came to the United States as refugees, I was born knowing what poor really meant. In my early childhood, I remember living in a run-down apartment here in Houston. But as I got older, things ephemerally improved in my life. I moved into a bigger and nicer home, and while I was in that home, I also made lots of friends in elementary school that carried with me even up until now. But my dad was never home; he was always going out and always coming home drunk. In short, he was never involved in my life. Later, when the economy collapsed, so did my family life. My parents separated, I moved from my childhood home, and from that point, it was my older brother, my mom, and I. We moved constantly, renting rooms with friends, and with each move, my family slowly began to deteriorate; these events had a major and sometimes negative impact on my life. But two years ago, I accepted the Lord as my God and Savior, and I realized that even though my life may not have started out the best, it’s better to work on the things that I can change instead of dwelling on the things that I can’t. I love Ultimate Frisbee, hiking, camping, and serving my community. Most importantly, I aspire to become a U.S. Army Ranger.


Jorge Toriz - "A Fit Nation Starts Here" 



Jorge is a 17-year old student at Chinquapin Prep. He loves the outdoors and has participated in outdoor programs. He is currently his junior class representative. He is outgoing, fun, friendly and a great leader. One of his many interests includes fitness. He wants to share his passion and help others become healthy and fit.







Vanessa Salgado - "Educati♀n"

 Hello! My name is Vanessa Salgado and I am 16 years old; I am a junior in high school. I love dancing and doing extra-curricular activities such as Speech and Debate and Performance Arts. The
sports I participate in include: cross country, volleyball, and basketball. I am currently the treasurer for my Interact group and a founding member of GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance). I always have loved school and I honestly feel that everyone in the world should be allowed to get an education.

My parents are both Mexican-born nationals and came to this country in search of a better life for themselves and my three older siblings. My parents have only received a second grade education but have now learned English and basic arithmetic. My eldest brother owns a construction company; my sister lives in England and has a Bachelor’s in Business Administration. My elder brother is currently deployed. I have lived in Texas for my entire life and I love traveling outside the state and the country.







No comments:

Post a Comment